by Chris Whigham
As I get older, I find that time seems to be moving faster. I have less time each day to finish what needs to be done. Work projects, life issues, marital and personal events. There just isn’t enough time. And, unfortunately, with the busy schedule, prayer time has seemed to slip away as well. It’s a shame, because the one thing we probably need most in the chaos is a little bit of private-time with our Father. So, how do we rectify this? How do we find the time to speak with God? I maintain it’s not as difficult a task as we sometimes think. First, here’s what prayer doesn’t need to be:
- Something that takes a lot of prep time.
- Something that needs he perfect state of mind.
- Something you can only do in a special place.
- Something that takes a long time.
Prayer needs to be simple. It’s just a conversation, one that involves talking and listening.
Then you will call on me and come and pray to me, and I will listen to you.
Prayer can be healing, restorative, and cathartic. It can help rest our souls on a weary day. So, here are some ways that you can slip some prayer time into an otherwise packed schedule:
1. Before The House Wakes Up. Ben Franklin once wrote “Early to bed and early to rise, makes a man healthy, wealthy, and wise”. Whether those are all true or not is up to the individual. However, by rising early and finding a few minutes of peace to talk with God, you can come a long way with the “healthy” part. (Tip: Enjoy your morning coffee or tea with your prayer.)
2. During Your Commute. How long is your drivetime to work? Is there enough time to turn of the radio news, and spend a moment chatting with God?
3. While You Wait. We spend a lot of time waiting…at the DMV, doctor office, for business appointments. Why not settle your soul by spending a few minutes in prayer. It will help more than playing the latest game on your phone.
4. Lunch. Think a prayer before lunch is old-school? Why not make that meal a daily reminder to spend a minute with the One who can make a real difference in your day?
5. Working Out. An obvious time to crank some inspirational music into your earphones, and chat away with your Father!
Just get creative. You can find the time. While we think we are too busy, there are always a few moments in every day that we can spend with God. After all…isn’t He worth the time?